Where the Crafty come to meet

Where the Crafty come to meet! Come on in & take a look around. I think you will like what you see & I know you will be inspired by something in here. So take a look see & don't forget to hit the follow button! Blessed Be.

November 25, 2010

Buttermilk Pie- My way

Happy Big Poultry Consumption Day  happy blog followers! Today I am premiering my screw up daring twist on Jo from Smile Monsters' recipe for Buttermilk Pie. Jo linked up to Wickedly Crafty Saturdays with two different recipes for Buttermilk Pie. She was having a showdown to see which version her family liked best. I tried recipe #1.  But had to make some adjustments due to my not paying attention at the store originality. Here is Jo's version.


Recipe #1

3 eggs
1 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup butter(melted)
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 9" pie shell(unbaked)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Beat eggs slightly then add sugar and flour.
Now add butter and mix well.
Last add buttermilk and vanilla.
Mix together well.

Dust pie shell with a bit of flour, pour batter into shell, sprinkle a little more flour on the top.

Bake at 325 until the custard is set or a knife comes out clean. Approximately 1 hour.


Now to explain to you what I did to keep from having to run back out  show my creativity.
One thing I advise is not to talk on your cell phone in the store while you are working from the shopping list "in your head". Instead of grabbing this:

 
I grabbed this:
Yeah, I know, they are not even in the same isle. One is over by the Dairy cases & the other with box mix cakes & stuff. Well mine happened to be on an end cap & like I said, I was on the phone & therefore .....distracted.  Plus I forgot to by the Buttermilk.

So I am hope getting ready to whip up the pie filling when I realize I have the graham cracker crust. After I call myself every name in the book get done berating myself I figure what the heck  go for it. Yup, even without the Buttermilk too.


I basically used Jo's recipe but changed it up just a bit


3 eggs
1 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup butter(melted)
1 cup buttermilk   1 cup regular milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar added
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 9" pie shell(unbaked)  1  9" Graham Cracker Crust

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Beat eggs slightly then add sugar and flour.
Now add butter and mix well.
Last add buttermilk substitute and vanilla.
Mix together well.

Dust pie shell with a bit of flour, pour batter into shell, sprinkle a little more flour on the top.
Bake at 325 until the custard is set or a knife comes out clean. Approximately 1 hour.
 
I let the pie cool before I sliced a piece for myself to try. It looked like this:


The edge of the graham cracker crust got brown but did not burn luckily just as I had planned! The white specs are just some of the flour that I sprinkled on before baking. You can brush those off or just leave them be. Sliced it looked like this:


The bottom of the graham cracker crust swelled with the moisture from the filling & melded with the filling to create an experience your taste buds will love you for. So from now on when I make this pie I will keep on using the graham cracker crust. I love it. It is so delicious. Thanks you Jo for the idea & thank you me for screwing up.

I hope all of you have a wonderful Bird Day.
Great Gobbles everybody!



Don't forget to leave a comment. I love hearing from cool folks like yourself.
Become a follower of Wiccan Make Some Too, I love the company!


0 comments:

Post a Comment