Where the Crafty come to meet

Where the Crafty come to meet! Come on in & take a look around. I think you will like what you see & I know you will be inspired by something in here. So take a look see & don't forget to hit the follow button! Blessed Be.

October 15, 2011

Faux Wood Boards





 Hey Blogland! Need a cheap way to get your house looking scary this Halloween? Well, I will show you how to make faux wood boards to "board" up your windows! All you need Kiddies is some cardboard & some brown tempura paint & something to apply the paint with.





 This stuff I have had for over five years at least....but hey, it still worked!

I used a large (dry) paint brush to apply my undercoat of paint







It is important to go back & forth with the paint & not just go crazy with the brush. Keeping your strokes going one way is how you create the "wood grain"







Next add random strokes of paint for more wood texture. You can also dot some paint & then lightly brush over it. Remember to keep your strokes going one way! Some you can angle slightly for a more natural look.







This section above had a packing label on it & the top layer of cardboard peel off with the label. I used it anyway cause I liked the marred look it gave my piece of wood.







Here are two pieces of my "wood" drying. For house windows you only need to paint one side of the cardboard. I did some for my work place & painted both sides since customers will see it from inside the store as well as outside.









 In the above shot I used the end of my brush to create the wood "knot".  I dipped the end of the brush in the paint & lightly dabbed off the excess then placed the brush flat on the cardboard & twisted it in a circle. Lift the brush & like magick...... a knot in your wood!



Smaller sections of cardboard can be used to make signs





Such as this "Danger" sign







And this "Beware" sign I have on my front door





Once your "wood" pieces have dried, grab a hammer & nails or a staple gun & make your house look "boarded up"!













There you have it Blogland! Faux wood.

Hey, it's Halloween time....have fun with it!







Don't forget to leave a comment. I love hearing from wickedly
awesome people like yourself. Become a follower of
Wiccan Make Some Too & be part of an amazing group of folks. Hey, all the"cool" kids are doing it!
















7 comments:

  1. What a fun project! Such a unique idea.

    I'd love for you to link this up to my Monster Mash Bash! http://afishwholikesflowers.blogspot.com/2011/10/lets-do-monster-mash.html

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Beth, this is so stunning, and what a brilliant idea for a big decorating impact! Also: you have mad faux bois skillz, I am so impressed. Mine wouldn't come out looking nearly this real. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool! Great idea also, was considering doing this when I read this here but then someone would probably break in thinking it is really abandoned.. this is london after all... but maybe when i move somewhere else :) thanx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to feature this Halloween. Please stop by, check it out, and grab a button :)

    Jessica
    http://myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this and can't wait to put it up outside! Thanks!! My husband's also making a coffin out of cardboard that'll be on the front porch with our fig machine in it! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wanted to do this last year (couldnt find long pieces) Great tutorial, you make it look soo easy.. Thought of adding ghosts comming out through the planks and the planks themselvs are perfect for hiding "extra ghost" attachments.. thank-you!
    chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello out there today is the Autumnal Equinox 2020

    jeez what a year so far and hence I will be celebrating 50 yrs of life on October 13, 2020.

    soooooooo much cardboard from deliveries AND packing fillers too.

    I stuffed some old coveralls with fillers and made a headless man. with pumpkin under his arm.

    GREAT idea for the cardboard!

    thank you and blessed be

    Lady Reese

    ReplyDelete