Where the Crafty come to meet

Where the Crafty come to meet! Come on in & take a look around. I think you will like what you see & I know you will be inspired by something in here. So take a look see & don't forget to hit the follow button! Blessed Be.

November 10, 2010

Thrift Shops & Yard Sales

Just the other day after stopping for breakfast & doing some Christmas (Yule) shopping for the grandchildren, the Hubs said "What would you like to do now"? I am sure my eyes got big & round. So I kinda shyly asked if he wouldn't mind hitting some of the Thrift Shops in the area. Knowing this is one of my favorite things to do, he readily agreed! Also I want to add that this was done without moaning or eye rolling. Hey, I will give credit where credit is due. We hit three different Thrift Stores in the area. Nothing struck my fancy or yelled out to me. Heck nothing even fell off a shelf & tripped me. We went back to the house & I headed out to try one more place. While walking up to the Thrift Store from the parking lot I saw a huge table out front with a big sign that said "everything $.50. I got excited but all for nothing. Not one item on that table was meant for me. After going over the entire store twice I stumbled upon these.
The wooden A will surely get put to use since it is the first letter of our last name. The two smaller boxes were nestled into the larger one. I figured I could find a new life for these boxes & they even had label brackets attached & .........there was some purple in the designs. The store was running 30% off your purchase day so this stuff ended up costing me $1.15.
Now on Sunday I went to the grocery store armed with a list & $70.00 to spend. I got everything on the list plus fixings for 2 extra meals with my total only coming to $46.00. (didn't have to get too many meat items since the freezer had a nice little supply already) Plus I got 2 sets of Wilton Halloween cookie cutters for $.68 each. The original price of the cutters was $2.75 each. 
On my way home happy with myself for still having $'s left over I came upon a yard sale! Florida is great for year round yard sales. Being that it was Sunday & maybe the ladies wanted to go in & watch football, they were eager to sell things on the cheap (just my price if you know what I'm saying)
First I found these small shelves that just scream for a redo. Marked at $.50 each they were mine for a quarter apiece.
Next I stumbled upon this wreath form & some decorative do dads. The fake pine was at one time priced at $7.99! The price was still on it. When I enquired on the price if this grab bag of future door hangings one of the ladies said it was mine for a dollar. Nough said ....it was then mine.
My Quality Inspector (Ramses) hard at work.
After unloading my goodies so far at the pay table to be bagged up I spotted this basket of some plastic grapes & unfinished fruit. I lifted it from its spot on the table, looked at my cashier lady & raised my right eyebrow in question. "$.50 for that" was her reply. I put "that" in my arms.
Last but not least I found the cutest candy cane looking Christmas tree candles. Repeated the the lift & the eyebrow raising. The answer to my look was $.50 each. What the heck, they were cute & they had to be mine.
My pleasant yard sale Hostess wrapped my goodies for me, accepted my three one dollar bills & back in the car I went. The ice cream had not even started to melt. So, groceries , yard sale bargains & $21.00 left over. I was a happy,happy person. Best of all was the fact that my husband did not even shake his head over my yard sale finds. He liked them all & even wondered allowed about how the shelves would look once it redid them.


I am thankful for Thrift Shops, yard sales & marked down Wilton cookie cutters.

Don't forget to leave a comment. I love hearing from cool folks like yourself.
Become a follower of Wiccan Make Some Too, I love the company!

(poof)

4 comments:

  1. Hey mamma, this was SO FUNNY, I could so picture you, or myself for that matter, raising the eyebrow, asking, lol. I also am THANKFUL, for yard sales, thrift stores, and all things marked down after the holidays. Isn't it great?

    You scored, and that's an understatement. My kids of shopping day for sure. Hope to see more!!! :) Hurry get those shelves redone already!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got some great stuff! I wish it were still warm enough for yard sales up here in Virginia! We are moving to San Diego so I'm thinking I can find some good stuff out there! :-) I can't wait to see what you do with those shelves! Thanks for the comment on my soup can candle sticks redo! I'm your newest follower. Would love it if you follow me back!
    -Jackie

    www.monkeymommascrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done! We should go shopping together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love it when you look around and think there's nothing at that great price, then that second look is like, "I didn't see that earlier"? You definitely found some great treasures at great prices.
    By the way, love your blog!
    Blessings and hugs.

    ReplyDelete